The State Library has always had a home in state government, but never a building of its own. Starting off as a single bookcase in the Secretary of State’s office in the Capitol building, it was reconstituted and given quarters in the re-built Capitol, which it occupied until 1888. At that time the Library moved to a new Supreme Court and Library Building, where it stayed for just over a quarter of a century, before moving again to the new Administration Building (now the Court of Appeals Building) in 1914.
The Library outgrew this new space as well, and, after a temporary move to a commercial building, it moved one last time in 1969 to the Archives and History/State Library Building, where it currently shares space and works closely with other divisions within the NC Department of Cultural Resources.
The following list identifies new objects added to our digital collection about the State Library building in its many forms: