This black and white photograph is this week’s picture of the week. This picture comes from “An Era of Progress and Promise” collection that can be found here: http://statelibrary.ncdcr.gov/digital/era/index.html
The historically black Kittrell College was founded in 1886 by the North Carolina Conference of African Methodist Episcopal Church. The school colors were blue and gold and the mascot was the bulldog. Kittrell started as a high school and in 1889 secondary education was added. The last high School class to graduate was in 1965 and Kittrell College was closed in 1975.
To see this image in the collection click here: http://digital.ncdcr.gov/u?/p249901coll37,955
Historical marker picture and information: http://www.markeroni.com/catalog/display.php?code=NC_M_00062