A potpourri of suggestions for state agency publishers when working with the North Carolina State Publications Clearinghouse:
- You no longer have to fill out and submit a Publications Transmittal Form with your publication!
- Please print a publication date on all publications. Internally, the date helps you organize your publications and quickly spot the latest versions. At the Clearinghouse, we catalog state publications, and easily located publication dates speed this process.
- We have changed the number of “ephemeral” publications we are requesting. Ephemeral publications are pamphlets, brochures, fact sheets – concisely written, colorful, 1- or 2-sided publications. We request ten copies now rather than three, if feasible. We began distributing ephemeral publications to more depository libraries than in the past. If the ephemeral publication promotes a specific event, merely reprints an older publication. or lacks substantive information, you do not have to send any.
- Since the Clearinghouse distributes state publications to university libraries in the state and to the Library of Congress, you may be able to eliminate these recipients from your own distribution list. To find out if a particular library is on our distribution list, contact the Clearinghouse at 919-807-7465.
- Please let us know when a title ceases publication, or converts from a printed publication to a digital-only publication.
- We suggest that state agency contacts schedule a meeting every year between the agency’s publishing units and staff from the Clearinghouse. In this meeting, we can review the process of submitting publications to the Clearinghouse, introduce new publishing units to the program, and provide a forum for expressing concerns about the process. Also, the Clearinghouse staff is available to provide a training session on the depository system whenever requested.
- When sending publications to the Clearinghouse, use media mail rate or the State Courier Service, rather than regular mail.
During the month of Thanksgiving, the Clearinghouse thanks all state agency and university publishers for their support over the past year!