This week’s State Doc Pick is the Third Biennial report of the Board of Directors of the North Carolina School for the Deaf and Dumb, Morganton NC. This item has been digitized and is part of the North Carolina Digital Collections where it is readily available to the public.
The 1891 legislature established funding to set up a separate school for the deaf in North Carolina. In October 1894 the first students arrived at the school. Even though the building was not yet complete 102 students arrived that first fall. By September 1895 there were 162 students.
In addition to the school there was also an Industrial Department where students could learn agriculture and gardening, carpentry, shoemaking, printing and typesetting, broom and mattress-making (for the boys) and “dressmaking and plain sewing and general housework” for the girls.
This publication can be downloaded, printed, saved, and viewed by clicking here.