At the urging of Gov. John Motley Morehead, a school for “deaf-mutes and blind persons in the State” was established in 1845. Seventy years later, in 1915, the State School for the Blind and Deaf celebrated this with anniversary exercises. This is more than just a program but includes a historical narrative, editorial from the Raleigh Times, photographs and even greetings from Helen Keller.
It also includes a reprint of the address given at the “Laying of the Corner Stone for the Asylum for the Deaf, Dumb and Blind” April 14, 1848.
This publication can be downloaded, printed, saved, and viewed by clicking here.